Friday, August 28, 2015

Cassis Tripel


Nøgne Ø Cassis Tripel is a Belgian style beer that has blackcurrant juice added to it, originally meant to be brewed as the standard Tiger Tripel but after a yeast mishap, they decided to make something new and fun. Funnily enough I recently brewed an oatmeal stout with blueberries in it and this beer sort of reminded me of my crazy brew, but now know that Nøgne Ø used just juices and not the fruit, I would go down that road when brewing with fruits in the future.

Appearance was a little cloudy, reddish brown to light purple with a medium off white head. Aroma was very blackcurrant and also had some yeast in it and straight away I think of drinking kir royal and also ribena which is a kids soft drink made of just blackcurrant juice.


Taste is also full of blackcurrant and on the border of just being enough and not over doing it here. Sweet in the beginning and some bitter tartness in the end from the berries and at 9.5% it is slightly there. I liked it in the beginning as a sipper, but this beer should be better in a smaller bottles. Can imagine this going great with some cheeses or a blackberry cheesecake, all in all another nice and different beer from Nøgne Ø.

Not my favourite and not in the bottom half either, somewhere in the middle and would like to try it again with food and share a bottle.





0 comments:

Post a Comment