Saturday, November 2, 2013

Sunturnbrew Bourbon Barrel Edition













Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew Bourbon Barrel Edition, what a better time to taste the new Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew Bourbon barrel edition than 1 week before it goes on sale here at the Systembolaget. Time will tell, before I tried it I was planning to buy 2 bottles at the very least, we will now see if this was the case or not. Been a while since I tasted the original Sunturnbrew so I decided to taste both the new and the old at the same time. 

Enough said about the original Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew, I love it, I love it and need to order a case. Now moving on to the aged Sunturnbrew that has spent 1 year in bourbon casks. The appearance was quite ok and had more of a head that the original one. On the nose it was very peaty, smoky and has a nice whisky touch to it. The mouth feel was a bit of a disappointment, quite thin and just too short for such a high alcohol brew. Very little sweetness left at all and there was a lot of bitter tones to it that do not really go well with this peaty aroma in my opinion. 

So to sum up, this was not a beer I liked and will not be buying it here in Sweden, maybe trying it parallel with the original was a bad idea as I was blown away by it. As I said before, the original Sunturnbrew is a barleywine that is right up there with the likes of Bigfoot, Numbskull, Old Guardian & Behemoth. It has an aroma to die for and a syrupy finish that goes on and on, but the new version is just a totally different beer and not a barleywine any more. 


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment