Monday, November 25, 2013

Imperial Stout Highland Edition













Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout Highland Edition, of all the 5 last beers I have reviewed (thanks to Marc@Brill again) the Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout Highland Edition was the one I was most looking forward to and the reason why I kept the best until last. Tasted this beer Sept 2009 at the Nøgne Ø Beermakers Dinner and liked it a lot, but now 2 years later my palette has become more educated and expressive.

Pitch black in colour with a thick dark espresso coloured head. Aroma had scotch written all over it with a hard roasted character, lots of coffee and dark bitter chocolate. Peat, vanilla and sweetness from the oats but not overly sweet, dark fruits also like prunes, figs and dates. I tasted little to no alcohol here which is a tribute to such a great craft brew, if I remember correctly the whiskey was more dominant when I tasted it 2009 and now the whiskey elements are more balance and not over powering. Full and rich mouth feel, what an excellent example of how good an oak aged Imperial Stout can be, when the balance is just right.

Another 5 star beer from Nøgne Ø, a pity I was not able to try this alongside the regular Imperial Stout, guess I can take it next.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment