Saturday, November 9, 2013

Pumpkin Ale












Nøgne Ø Pumpkin Ale, I was actually the first person to try this beer last year when it was released the night of the Christmas beer party at Patrick’s pub in Grimstad. As it has been released again this year and now in bottles I decided to give it a review. Very pretty label as usual these days with Nøgne beers, poured a very dark brown colour, mahogany brown with some murkiness to it with a lovely beige to orange head. Aroma was a bit disappointment here where I was getting lots of hops and cooked vegetables and no pumpkin sweetness or spices at all. Moving on quickly to the taste as I was getting bad vibes from the aroma, it was quite hoppy and had some bready malt sweetness to it. Still no pumpkin to be found and I guess brewing it with dried pumpkin and not purée pumpkin made a big difference here. 

Nice to have tried, as always with Nøgne beers but definitely one I will be giving a miss in the future. It puzzled me here that they did not have spices when doing this brew like the classic ones, ginger, cloves, nutmeg or cinnamon but who am I to complain, I did not brew it. Unfortunately this year’s pumpkin ale gets one star less than the previous year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment