Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition













Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon 3rd Edition was launched at Mikkellers Ølbar in Copenhagen on the 20th September 2010. This 3rd Edition is actually the 4th Edition of Dark Horizon to be brewed, the initial 3rd Edition batch stops fermenting at an early stage which resulted in a very sweet brew and because know as Sweet Horizon.

The aroma is slightly similar to Sweet Horizon, not as sweet and had some toffee and cocoa on the nose. A big sweet beer with lots of chocolate, coffee, espresso, roasted grains and dark brown sugars. Quite full bodied with a very oily syrupy texture, lots of sweetness right of the bat followed up by hard hitting coffee and some bitter chocolate bitterness. Very sweet again, just a little less that Sweet Horizon but this was not what I expected. After the initial sweetness comes the coffee and toffee in and the bitterness at the end is very bitter chocolatey and slightly smoky.

Really likes this beer, it had so many different layers to it and every time I left it for a while and came back to it, I found new flavours to make me think. A heavy molasses Imperial Stout of a brew, high in alcohol that was not hidden 100% but this was ok as it gave the beer a dark rum like character. Burnt sugars, vanilla, bourbon and much much more I was able to find buried deep in this beer, sadly I have already finished off my 2 bottles I bought, but am happy to have shared this with my drinking buddies that really appreciate such extreme beers.


0 comments:

Post a Comment